Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Fox of my Own

Where I was exactly, I'm not completely sure. I may have been in a random beach house or hotel room, or maybe my grandparents' house, perhaps even an odd combination of the two. My cousin was there, as were my brother and sister, and my mother, grandmother, and aunt and uncle (this particular cousin's parents). I don't remember what was going on at the time, but I suddenly became aware of a fox in the room. She approached me in a bit of a sidling manner, then lay down close beside me (I was sitting on the hardwood floor). I stroked her gently, and she nuzzled in closer, then closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and let out a slow, soft, sigh. It suddenly occurred to me that perhaps this fox had sought comfort in what would be her last moments alive, and this pained me deeply. I continued stroking her soft, red and white coat, and noticed a few seconds later that she started breathing again. It happened rather quickly, but a few seconds more and it would not have been so (as dream-rules may then have demanded she be truly dead). I was filled with relief, and a renewed joy that she not only permitted physical contact with me, but she'd desired it as well; and also, that I finally had a fox of my own.

I write this with a small sigh of my own, for it was bitter-sweet; such dreams exist because they very rarely, if ever come true, least of all for one such as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment